Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cuernavaca Mexico- Jan 30 to Feb 6, 2011-Before Our Cabana


My story begins many years ago (about 46 yrs ago!) when I became a Girl Scout as a Brownie. I have continued to either be a Girl Scout as a girl or as an adult for all these many years! I love the program and how it helps girls grow to grow courage, confidence and character! I love the program and am passionate about it to the extent I want to share Girl Scouting with everyone I know!


I 2006 I was asked to be a delegate to what was then called the Mile Hi Council in Colorado so I attended the National Girl Scout Convention in Atlanta, Georgia. It was there that I met my friend, Rae Ann Dougherty from Colorado. Over the past few years Rae Ann has invited me to attend Our Cabana with her as a Friend of Our Cabana! I called her bluff and told her I would love to go with her!! Then she told me there was an opportunity to attend an immersion Spanish speaking school called Los Encuentros. I decided to accept the invitation for that so this past week I have been attending class at Los Encuentros and living with a Mexican host family in Cuernavaca, Mexico! What an adventure that has been! The teachers at our school spoke very limited English so we were forced to speak only Spanish. One day we had two ladies come to talk to us (in Spanish, of course) about what is being done in Mexico regarding the environment and how they are educating both young and old alike on pertinent issues facing our planet today. We went on a tour ov several museums where the tours took place with Spanish speaking guides - it was sink or swim!!! I was amazed at how my comprehension and vocabulary impoved during the week! I would highly recommend this school for such an experience!




No comments:

Post a Comment